Who does not know: As soon as the temperature in summer rises and you open the windows and doors, the apartment is: it’s flying! And most of the time, unloved pests flawlessly land on the dough or freshly baked bread with jam that you were supposed to bite into. You lose your appetite. But it doesn’t have to be that way. Because the American chemist and household expert Sarah Baus knows how best to fight pesky insects.
The trick is simple – and it costs almost nothing
The worst thing is that once the fly is in your sweet home, it will quickly become comfortable there. Most of the time, it literally nests: a fly lays up to 1,000 eggs in just three weeks of life. And according to an expert, they have the preferred place for this: water in sewers and pipes! They feed on food scraps in the sewage, and also reproduce there. Unlike other food and organic waste in the household, pipes and drains are difficult to close permanently.
That’s why an expert advises on his TikTok channel: flood the drains, especially in the kitchen, with boiling water every day. Just boil the water in the kettle – and then into the tube. Any eggs already laid are successfully destroyed.
There is no chance for annoying torturers
And even if this simple tip doesn’t work, here are 10 steps you can take to combat the house fly infestation:
- Install mosquito nets on windows and (balcony) doors. They are easy to install and extremely effective.
- Flies are strongly allergic to tomatoes, basil or lemons with cloves. So if you put them on your balcony or windowsill, chances are good that the flies will ignore your home.
- As flies always fly towards the light, i.e. towards the sun, open the windows on the shaded side if possible if you want to ventilate.
- Flies are generally attracted to food scraps. They especially like fermenting or rotting fruit. But the crumbs and leftovers on the plate almost magically attract flies. Always put food away after eating and at least briefly rinse used plates.
- Throw away your rubbish more often, especially in summer. At high temperatures, food debris rots faster and attracts more flies and other pests.
- If you are moving into a new apartment or doing some renovation, you should seize the opportunity to mix some pharmacy bay oil with the wall paint. The smell repels flies. This way, the plague will surely pass a wide arc around your four walls.
- You can also ward off flies with herbs and plants. If you spread a few bunches of lavender in the living room, the flies will retreat by themselves. By the way, fresh mint has the same effect. At the same time, you provide a pleasant, fresh fragrance in the room.
- Another smell that flies hate is vinegar. For best results, sprinkle a few drops of vinegar on the hot hob. In this way, the fragrance quickly spreads throughout the house.
- Just make a fly trap. All you need is ten sweetener tablets, a pinch of sugar and about 50 milliliters of water. Mix everything together and set aside in a small bowl. For flies, it’s a deadly cocktail.
- The same applies to the following mixture of household remedies: Mix fruit juice, water and vinegar in a ratio of 3: 2: 1 and add a little washing-up liquid. If the fly lands on the infusion, it drops directly due to the low surface tension.
Here we explain how you can keep annoying wasps away from the table.
Was it all not working? Then only one thing helps
And if you’re not sure all of these tips, you can always go back to the good old fly trap. With a well-aimed blow you can get rid of the annoying fly – once and for all. (Yes)