At ever shorter intervals, PS5 can be purchased from PlayStation Direct: but PlayStation 5 can only be ordered with good preparation.
As of May 17, 2022, all PlayStation Direct-related events are documented exclusively in the post below.
July 22, 2022 Patch: After a month-long hiatus, Sony Interactive re-sent invitations Thursday afternoon to select customers who were able to order PS5 via PlayStation Direct this morning between 10:30 and 12:00. At lunchtime, the remaining contingents were released for sale.
June 13, 2022 update: The first PlayStation Direct drop in June 2022 is just around the corner – tomorrow on Tuesday (June 14, 10:30). Check your inbox to see if you are one of the chosen ones. Sony sent the relevant e-mails this afternoon.
May 27, 2022 update: The next PS5 sale will take place this Friday on PlayStation Direct – as usual from 10:30. Check the email associated with your PSN account: the message should arrive yesterday afternoon on Thursday.
At this point, we would like to emphasize once again: Payments via PayPal are now also possible – until recently a credit card was compulsory.
PlayStation Direct is Sony Interactive’s online “Factory Outlet”, meaning you order hardware and software directly from the PlayStation manufacturer. This option is available in the US from 2019 – in Germany, the online store has been operating from November 8, 2021.
The following products are currently available from PlayStation Store:
- SOLD OUT PlayStation 5 game consoles (with disc drive for € 499.99 – digital edition for € 399.99)
- DualSense wireless controllers in white (€ 69.99), Midnight Black (€ 69.99) and Cosmic Red (€ 74.99), Nova Pink (€ 79.99 – from January 14, 2022), Galactic Purple ( EUR 79.99 – from January 14, 2022) and Starlight Blue (EUR 79.99 – from January 14, 2022)
- NEW PS5 cover (side panels / covers / faceplates) in five colors (from € 54.99 – from January 21, 2022 / pre-sale of other models from June 17)
- Pulse 3D Wireless Headset in White or Night Black (€ 99.99 each)
- PS5 multimedia remote control (29.99 EUR)
- HD PS5 camera (€ 59.99)
- Dualsense PS5 Charging Dock (29.99 EUR)
- Sony Interactive games for PS5 (incl. Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Return)
- PlayStation Plus subscriptions
- PlayStation Now subscriptions
- PlayStation 4 hardware (consoles, PlayStation VR)
Who can order from PlayStation Direct?
Basically every adult customer with a delivery address in mainland Germany. Customers in Austria and Switzerland will have to wait while PlayStation Direct is also available there.
Is it worth shopping on PlayStation Direct?
Conditional. Since PS5 accessories and games are offered at the list price – this means: for relatively new PS5 titles such as Return or Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart that’s a stately amount of € 79.99. Prices from freight forwarders and on the electronics market bright underneath. Tip: If you’re a PlayStation Plus member, at least you don’t pay shipping costs.
What payment methods does PlayStation Direct accept?
He has been on orders from PlayStation Direct in Germany for months obligatory A credit card (Visa or Mastercard) is required. You can now pay for your order also via PayPal.
How to buy PS5 on PlayStation Direct?
Buying a PS5 from PlayStation Direct is a bit “special” and it works like this:
- The basic requirement is a PlayStation Network (PSN) account. If you have a PlayStation 4, you also have a PSN account. You can use these credentials to log into PlayStation Direct at any time.
- The sale of PS5 on PlayStation Direct is very irregular, usually at intervals of several days and weeks – in 2022 it was only twelve times (25.1./22.2./17.3./12.4/19.4./26.4./12.5./16.5 / 27.5 / 14.6 / 23.6 / 22.7). There is a device between these dates “not available”.
- As soon as the PS5 quota is available, Sony Interactive will write to randomly selected customers by email. To do this, you must register your PS5 interest by signing up with PlayStation Direct.
- Also check in PlayStation Direct under the “Notifications” menu item that there is a check mark next to an entry “Received by e-mail” is set, otherwise Sony should not contact you.
- If you are selected, you’ll receive an invitation email the afternoon before the PS5 Sale Day (tip: check your inbox and spam folder regularly!). Includes date and time information and a personalized link to the PlayStation Direct store. You can then order PlayStation 5 (€ 499) or PlayStation 5 Digital Edition (€ 399) at a certain time – but only per household one Console and only while stocks last.
- Make sure you’re on time and sign in right at the beginning of the timeframe shown: recent PS5 sales on PlayStation Direct have shown consoles deliveries only take 15-20 minutes. In the event of premature sale, there is no right to another attempt.
- Access to the online store is regulated by a queue. Don’t worry about the displayed waiting time (1 hour or more): In practice it is much faster and your turn in a few minutes. The website is updated automatically – an acoustic signal sounds at the entrance (loudspeaker on!).
- Note: An activated ad blocker (especially in Google Chrome) may prevent the remaining waiting time from being displayed. Check your browser settings – you may need to reload the online store page.
- Open the invitation link Not with several devices (smartphone, computer, tablet, etc.), as well as not in several browser tabs. rule of thumb: and Device, and browsers, and Tab. Reason: If the system feels like you want to register multiple times with the same invitation, you may get error messages, including temporary “forced interruptions”.
- If you pay by credit card, Power there are technical problems while completing the order (“Checkout”) – mainly when entering an online TAN. Therefore, we currently recommend the use of PayPal to be preferred.
How can I be sure this is a “real” invitation from Sony Interactive and not a phishing email?
Always be skeptical when you receive an unsolicited email from a business. In this particular case, there are three signs that it is in fact an original email from Sony:
- Invitations to PlayStation Direct will only be sent to the email addresses associated with the respective PSN account.
- The sender is playstation.com.
- Typically, customers are “addressed” by their PSN name.
If in doubt, please also contact the editorial office.
What are the chances of getting PlayStation 5 from PlayStation Direct?
Contrary to the usual “PS5 drops” in the German internet and mail order business, shopping at PlayStation Direct is much calmer, as only a select group of customers participate in them. In addition, quotas are usually very manageable.
However, the real stumbling block is getting an email from Sony at all. If you know that well over 7 million PlayStation 4 consoles have been sold in Germany alone, the number of “competitors” can be guessed. Because all these PS4 owners inevitably also have a PSN account.
You cannot actively influence or speed up this process. As long as you have a PSN account and have expressed your interest (see above), the only hope is that sooner or later Sony’s algorithm will pick you up and send you an email.
In this article, you will find an overview of the promising PS5 sources of supply in German retail. We will also keep you updated on the latest developments on the German PlayStation 5 market in our PS5 bar from Monday to Friday.