- High temperatures and drought also harmful to garden plants
- Pouring takes place at special times especially effective
- so much water you need plants and a lawn
There is a lot to do in the garden in summer: with the current temperatures, one thing is especially important – water the plants regularly, otherwise they will dry out quickly. However, there are a few tricks to consider when watering properly – the right time, for example.
Water plants: this time is at its best
In warm weather, the plants should be watered for the first time early in the morning. At this point, the air is still quite cool, so less water evaporates. The ideal time to water is usually from “from three to fiveIf you are serious about your plants, you should set your alarm clock early. If the garden is irrigated automatically anyway, a timer is suitable. By the way, the morning hours are also perfect for watering the lawn.
On particularly hot days, the plants sometimes need water a second time, usually in evening hours. Because it is standing rainwater perfect that is not too cold. However, there is no specific time for a second watering as it depends on the plants: depending on the visual “condition” of the plants it belongs be thrown quickly.
in noon hours however you should Better to avoid watering the plants to be – despite the heat. Because this ensures that the water evaporates faster. In addition, some plants are at risk “burning glass effect” greater risk of drying out and even burning. Incidentally, rainwater is generally much better suited for irrigation than tap water. By comparison, rainwater has a lower pH value, contains less lime, and is not as cold as tap water.
View Gardena Garden Sprinklers now on Amazon
Be careful when caring for your lawn: this is how much water is needed
It is also important to always pay attention to which plants are actually involved. Depending on the type of plant, watering requires different care and different amounts of water. For example, houseplants need a lot of water, because they cannot take deep roots. In addition, they are very susceptible to extreme heat and leave burn marks or yellow leaves. Therefore, in summer, they should be watered frequently twice a day – preferably in the morning and in the evening. But beware: Too much water it is also not helpful.
Also fresh and green Lawn requires intensive and proper care in summer. Of course, this includes proper watering. In general, it is advisable to water less frequently, but longer. A standard lawn sprinkler should run “about 1.5 hours a day. But why exactly? To have a green and fresh lawn, the roots need enough moisture. They only get it when water not only penetrates the topsoil, but it sinks deeper into the ground – only then can the lawn take care of itself. For this reason, bedding plants should also be watered less frequently, but longer. At normal temperatures, the lawn should be watered every three to four days.
The only question that needs to be answered is how much water the plants or lawn actually need. There are approximate numbers you can use as a guide.
- Light soils: 10 to 15 liters per square meter
- Solid flooring: 15 to 20 liters per square meter
- Summer flowers / perennials: ten liters per square meter
* Note: In the editorial office, we are always looking for useful products for our readers. The links mentioned in this article and marked with a pictogram or a shopping cart symbol, a ticket symbol or an asterisk are so-called affiliate links / advertising links. If you click on or make a purchase using one of these links, we will receive a commission from the seller or service provider. It doesn’t change the price for you. Our editorial reports are essentially independent of the existence or amount of the commission.
Thumbnail: © Christin Klose / dpa-tmn / Illustration