Opening hours, tickets, exhibitors, attractions, shows: everything Gamescom 2022 visitors need to know.
August 1, 2022 update: Gamescom 2022 starts in three weeks. GamesWirtschaft has a whole range of new or updated posts on specific topics:
July 13, 2022 update: On request, there were some changes to the room layout. Contrary to the original plan, the Gamescom: Opening Night Live opening show, for example, will not be held in the new Hall 1, but in the “Event Arena” in Hall 6.
A summary with the latest data on Gamescom can be found here.
July 9, 2022 update: More than 500 exhibitors registered at Gamescom 2022 – some of these companies were listed by the organizers on Thursday.
July 4, 2022 update: Due to countless inquiries: At the moment, unfortunately, we cannot provide an official list of exhibitors – it is simply not there yet. What’s instead: a hand-scrutinized overview with cancellations and commitments from famous publishers. Ubisoft, Bandai Namco Entertainment and Giants Software have recently confirmed their participation.
At KoelnMesse, we have also explained the most frequently asked questions – the answers are below so clear.
Message of June 27, 2022: “Like in the old days. Only better.” – this is how the organizers advertise the Gamescom 2022 fair. Whether this promise will be kept in practice, we will see in the last week of August.
While the usual “look and feel” is to return to the Cologne Exhibition Center after a two-year hiatus from the pandemic, Gamescom will pursue a slightly different concept in the future. Instead of a purely video game fair, the event is to develop into a “game festival” in which, apart from computer and console games, an increasingly important role is played by cosplay, e-sport, manga / anime and pop culture in general (analysis / column).
Of course, the game stations are still available: to avoid the hours of waiting in line, “game slots” can be booked for the first time via the app. Accelerated access to the computer and console is then possible in the same way as the Fast Pass at the amusement park. Haczyk: It is still not known which matches will be shown in Cologne at all. The organizers still do not attract the attention of specific exhibitors.
- On Trade fair visitors and media day (On Wednesday, August 24), all halls are open from 9am to 7pm – but only to exhibitors, industry visitors, media representatives and wildcard ticket holders.
- this business area It is also open from Thursday (August 25) to Friday (August 26) from 9:00 to 20:00.
- this Entertainment zone It is open to visitors from Thursday (August 25) to Sunday (August 28) – also from 9:00 to 20:00. On Thursdays and Fridays, private guests are not allowed to enter the halls until 10:00.
Gamescom 2022: Tickets and Entrance Fees
According to their own information, the organizers sold over 60,000 tickets in the first week of the presale – which shows that the interest in Gamescom is still high.
However, compared to 2019. bright higher admission prices are due – example: a Saturday ticket that was last available for less than 20 euros now costs 30.50 euros.
Very important: Gamescom tickets are only available in advance – there will be no cashier. Each visitor must separately register online at KoelnMesse and download the Gamescom ticketing app.
Gamescom ticket prices at a glance:
- One-day ticket Thursday or Friday – EUR 25 each (reduced: EUR 18)
- Day ticket on Saturday or Sunday – € 30.50 each (reduced: € 23)
- Family ticket on Thursday or Friday – 40 euros each
- Family ticket Saturday or Sunday – 50 € each
- Evening ticket (admission from 4pm) – € 9 per day
The reduced rate applies to pupils, students, interns, retired people, seniors over 65, severely disabled people and social volunteers (FSJ / FÖJ) upon presentation of appropriate proof.
update: Family tickets are valid for a maximum of five people, including a maximum of two adults and at least one child aged 7 to 11 years old.
update: Children from 4 years of age have access to the facility – free admission from 4 to 6 years old.
update: The ticket for the Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Sieg (VRS) is included in the admission price – this applies to private individuals, as well as professionals and media representatives.
update: Any subsequent cancellation, rebooking or transfer of Gamescom tickets (e.g. due to coronary disease) is not possible due to personalized delivery: the purchase price will not be refundable.
update: Visitors with a disabled access pass pay a reduced admission price. The accompanying person receives a free ticket at the entrance. Important: A severely disabled person’s pass (marked with the letter “B”) is required on site.
The following upgrades can also be booked:
- green ticket (€ 1 per day): Voluntary climate protection contribution
- Superfan ticket (€ 1.99 per day): Three instead of two + trial slots “Customization Options” for your own Gamescom profile
Information on tickets for trade visitors can be found in this article.
Gamescom 2022: protection of minors and wristbands
If you want to try out the games at the fairgrounds, you need a so-called age bracelets: Bracelets in the colors USK green (from 12), blue (from 16) and red (from 18) indicate to the stand staff whether the game is suitable for a given visitor. The wristbands are available for free upon entry to Gamescom upon presentation of age (details and tips).
Gamescom 2022: plan of the exhibition center and hall
update: Contrary to plans, Gamescom 2022 will not occupy all KoelnMesse halls – so hall 1, originally intended as the event arena, will remain “empty”. Gamescom’s opening show: Opening Night Live will be produced in Hall 6. Regardless, the total exhibition area should be at the 2019 level, i.e. almost 220,000 sq m.
The proven division into the Entertainment Zone (for private and industry visitors) and the Business Zone (for industry visitors, exhibitors and media only) will be maintained.
- update: hall 1 not in use.
- this Halls 2, 3 and 4 are occupied by the business area.
- In hall 5 is a Merchandise Zone with stands of more than 50 fan suppliers and a Cosplay Zone.
- update: this hall 6 acts as an ‘event area’ for esports tournaments and events, and is the venue for Gamescom’s inaugural show: Opening Night Live on the evening of August 23.
- in Halls 7, 8 and 9 you can find traditionally large game producers.
- Double storey hall 10 is the seat of associations, institutions and producers of computer hardware. There is also Family & Friends Area, Retro Area, Indie Area, Campus Area and Signing Area.
Experience shows that the official hall plan will not be available until August.
Gamescom 2022 events and shows
Gamescom Week is planned as follows:
- Monday, August 22, 2022: Devcom developer conference
- Tuesday, August 23, 2022: Devcom developer conference / From 20:00: Gamescom opening show: Opening Night Live with the audience
- Wednesday, August 24, 2022: Trade fair guest and media day – entertainment zone and business zone are available (for private persons from 1 p.m. only with Wild Card)
- Thursday August 25, 2022 Gamescom Congress 2022 / events in Gamescom Event Arena / Gamescom industry event from 20:00
- Friday, August 26, 2022: Gamescom Congress 2022 / Events at Gamescom Event Arena / Beginning of Gamescom City Festival
- Saturday 27 August 2022: Gamescom Event Arena / Gamescom City Festival in the center of Cologne
- Sunday August 28, 2022: Gamescom Event Arena / Gamescom City Festival in the center of Cologne
update: Gamescom: Opening Night Live tickets must be purchased separately, with pre-sale starting early August.
Gamescom 2022: These exhibitors will be there
Updated on July 18, 2022: You can find a constantly updated overview of all confirmations and cancellations for Gamescom 2022 here.
July 9, 2022 update: The first official exhibitor list is finally available four weeks after the presale starts.
June 15, 2022 message: More than 1,100 exhibitors took part in Gamescom 2019 – it is still unknown whether Gamescom 2022 will come closer to this level. Because two months before the start of the fair, the organizers have not revealed a single exhibitor yet.
That’s why GamesWirtschaft asked small, big and very big companies. Result: Bandai Namco Entertainment, Kalypso Media, Koch Media and THQ Nordic, among others, are planning to attend the fair. However, there are appeals from Wargaming, Nintendo, Take-Two and Activision Blizzard. Big key tenants such as Ubisoft, Electronic Arts, Microsoft Xbox and Sony PlayStation have yet to say whether – and if so to what extent – they will be there in Cologne.
A constantly updated overview of exhibitors can be found here.