“He fought to the end” – Panorama

He had been in a coma for months, and now 12-year-old Archie has died – the tragic affair in England is over.

. The case of the brain-deceased 12-year-old British Archie occupied the justice system for weeks. The hospital wanted to turn off the life support apparatuses, but the parents objected to it. After the courts agreed with the clinics, Archie died in the presence of his parents.

After months of fighting, the parents spent their precious last hours with their son, and then the last glimmer of hope faded: the devices that kept Archie’s boy alive, who had been in a deep coma for months, had been turned off at a hospital in London. The 12-year-old died on Saturday at 12:15 (local time), his mother Hollie Dance said outside the clinic. – He fought to the end. I’m so proud to be his mother.

Archie has been in a coma since April. In an accident at a home in Southend-on-Sea some 60 kilometers east of London, he sustained severe brain injuries, possibly during an online courage test. The doctors treating her saw no chance of recovery. He was kept alive at the Royal London Hospital, incl. respirators and medications.

The parents legally fought for their son with all their might – first for his life, then for the circumstances of his death. Ultimately, they wanted him to be transferred from the hospital to the hospice so that he could spend his last hours in a quieter, quieter environment. Corresponding complaints before the London Court of Appeal and the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) in Straburg failed on Friday.

The hospital refused to move to the hospice – the boy’s condition was too unstable and the risk of being transported by ambulance was too high. The London Court of Appeals also stated that it was in the boy’s best interest to have the life support apparatus removed from the hospital and not elsewhere. The Strasbourg court then held that the application did not fall within its jurisdiction.

This exhausted all legal possibilities. “I did everything I promised my son,” his mother told Sky News on Friday night. Through tears, she realized there was nothing else the family could do. At that point, she knew the hospital would remove her life support apparatus until the next morning.

According to his family, Archie’s drugs were stopped on Saturday at 10am, before the ventilators were removed two hours later. Ella Carter, the fiancée of Archie’s older brother Tom, said as she cried profusely beside her mother, “There is absolutely nothing worthy of watching a family member or a choking child. No family should ever go through what we’ve been through. barbaric.”

The hospital operator Barts Health NHS Trust confirmed that Archie’s treatment was interrupted as decided by the court in his best interests and that he died in the afternoon. Family members were with him at his bedside. “This tragic incident not only affected the family and their carers, but touched the hearts of many people across the country,” said medical director Alistair Chesser.

The sympathy for Archie’s family was great indeed. Many people brought flowers to the hospital on Saturday, incl. The candles also formed a heart on the statue in front of the building, framing a piece of paper with Archie’s name on it.

The case resembles a similar dispute over terminally ill children in Great Britain. The UK’s health service, the NHS, which is under heavy financial pressure, generally tends to phase out life support measures much earlier than it would be in Germany, for example. Moreover, the wishes of parents and other relatives are often not taken into account to the same extent. What is in the best interest of the patient is often decided by judges on the recommendation of doctors.

Leave a Comment